The VandySafe Annual Training Profile for VUMC Staff
The 2014-2015 VandySafe Annual Training Profile is available now through April 2015..
The VUMC Staff Annual Training Profile automatically assigns the training you need based on your responses to questions about your work. Before you attempt to take the profile, please review the VUMC Annual Requirements for Staff and ask your supervisor if you are not sure which requirements you need to complete.
The " Universal Safety " course is assigned to all VUMC staff, even if the profile is never completed.
To complete your Profile
- Log on at www.vandysafe.com.
- Click on VUMC Staff - Complete your 2014-2015 Annual Training Profile.
- Answer the questions in the training profile survey.
- Once you complete the survey, training you need will be available within a few minutes on your VandySafe Home page where your Current Training is listed. You will receive at least one assignment for each "yes" response.
- If you respond "No" to every questions, you will not receive any assignments.
Questions asked in the Profile
"Yes" answers to the following questions will cause you to receive appropriate required training.
- Do you have direct contact with patients or blood & body fluid? (Select "Yes" if you need bloodborne pathogen training.)
- Responding "Yes" will assign both the Patient Contact or Blood & Body Fluid Contact Course, the Recognition of Patient Abuse and Neglect Lesson and the VUMC Clinical Waste Management 2014 Lesson.
- Do you work in a clinical, research or teaching laboratory? (Responding “yes” assigns a course that includes bloodborne pathogen training for lab personnel. Please do NOT respond “yes” to this question if you are only performing patient "Point of Care" testing in clinical areas.)
- Responding "Yes" will assign the Laboratory Safety Course.
- Do you work with X-ray machines or are you ever present in the same room as an X-ray machine while it is turned on? This applies to portable and fixed X-Ray machines.
- Responding "Yes" will assign the X-Ray Safety lesson.
- Do you work with radioactive materials in a laboratory, Radiopharmacy or Nuclear Medicine setting?
- Responding "Yes" will assign the Radioactive Material Annual training lesson.
- Do you provide care for patients undergoing radioactive material therapy? (This does not apply to patients being treated with external beam radiation therapy.)
- Responding "Yes" will assign the Caring for Radiation Therapy Patients training lesson.
- If you would respond "yes" to any of the following questions, then you need to complete the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Safety Lesson in the Learning Exchange: Do you care for patients who receive Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scans? Do you transport patients or make deliveries to an MRI area or work near MRI machines? Do you order MRI scans for patients? This lesson is no longer assigned through this Profile.
- NEW! As of 10/23,/2014, this training is no longer assigned through the VandySafe Profile and is instead assigned in the Learning Exchange. The Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Safety Lesson remains available in the VandySafe training library.
- Do you perform or assist with clinical procedures that use lasers?
- Responding "Yes" will assign the Laser Safety in Clinical Settings lesson.
- Do you use Cidex OPA to perform high-level disinfection? (If you perform high-level disinfection in your department but are not sure which product is used, ask your supervisor before responding to this question.)
- Responding "Yes" will assign the High Level Disinfection (Cidex OPA) lesson.
- Do you use a product that contains glutaraldehyde, such as Cidex, Wavicide or Rapicide, to perform high level disinfection? (Cidex OPA does not contain glutaraldehyde, so if you only use Cidex OPA to perform high level disinfection, respond “no” to this question. If you perform high-level disinfection in your department but are not sure which product is used, ask your supervisor before responding to this question.)
- Responding "Yes" will assign the High Level Disinfection (Cidex, Wavicide or Rapicide - products that contain glutaraldehyde) lesson.
- Do you ever access a patient's Central Venous Catheter (CVC), such as for the collection of laboratory specimens or to deliver medications? Do you insert, help maintain, and/or remove any type of CVC?
- Responding "Yes" will assign the Infection Prevention: Central Venous Catheters (CVC) lesson.
- Do you use and/or help maintain the Pneumatic Tube System on the main VUMC campus?
- Responding "Yes" will assign the Pneumatic Tube System Safety lesson.
- Do you work with, inventory or manage personnel who work with powered Medical Equipment? Medical equipment is used to treat, diagnose or monitor patients.
- Responding "Yes" will assign the Medical Equipment Management & Safety lesson.
- Do you work in an in-patient unit, ambulatory surgical center, or where there is a medical gas zone valve or alarm panel?
- Responding "Yes" will assign the Medical Gas Safety & Emergency Response for System Failures lesson.
- Do you provide direct patient care?
- Responding "Yes" will assign the Health Care Worker Fatigue and Patient Safety Lesson for VUMC Staff lesson.
- Do you lift, transfer, reposition or transport patients?
- Responding "Yes" will assign the VUMC Health Care Ergonomics - Smooth Moves lesson.
Frequently Asked Questions about the VandySafe Profile
How can I get training assigned to me that is not mentioned in the VandySafe Profile?
Send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to have the training assigned to you.
How can I add more training after I have already completed my Profile?
If you need to add additional training within the current training assignment period (July - June of the following year), send a message to email@example.com and ask to have the VUMC Staff Annual Training Profile re-assigned. After you receive confirmation that the Profile has been re-assigned, log back in to www.vandysafe.com and answer the questions again.
IMPORTANT: When you retake the Profile, only respond "yes" to the questions for training assignments you do not already have. Every time you take the profile and say "yes" to a question, you will get another training assignment for that topic. If you receive a duplicate assignment, you only need to complete it one time and can ignore a duplicate assignment unless your supervisor instructs you to complete that training assignment again..
I am a supervisor. How can I make sure that my staff is assigned training on a specific topic no matter what they answer on their Profile?
Send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a group assignment. Include the training topic and names and VUNet IDs for all of your staff who need the training.
I am responsible for training in my department. How can I get access to run completion status reports for my staff in VandySafe?